Santa with a serious point of view, from Bunny with a Toolbelt.
There’s nothing in this list that you probably don’t already know. But they all bear repeating, especially as we head into the most critical retail selling season of the year.
• Create an atmosphere that’s whimsical, joyful, playful and uplifting.
• Find employees who are happiest when busiest. And make absolutely sure they like dealing with people.
• Hire full-time staff who are willing to work longer hours.
• Encourage staff to take breaks.
• Create morale boosters.
• Act as if even last-minute requests are no problem.
• Plan carefully.
• Order early for delivery in summer and fall.
• Keep seasonal items to a minimum.
• Expect some products not to arrive, despite the artists’ and your own best efforts.
• Hold an open house in late November or early December.
• Make sure window and store displays are refreshed.
• Make full use of social media (Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest).
• Keep your sense of humor.
• Always have a Plan B.