Is your coffee mug missing a “World’s Best Boss” label? Steve Strauss says few bad bosses actually see themselves that way. In his article, “17 Signs that You Are a Great Boss,” he lists the traits of a successful leader.
- You don’t micromanage.
- You know how to have fun.
- You push, but know when to back off.
- You have good manners.
- You treat employees like adults.
- You are fair.
- You make exceptions.
- You reward good, hard work.
- You create a team.
- You lead.
- You teach, and learn.
- You listen.
- You don’t engage in petty office politics.
- You make people feel valued.
- You set realistic, achievable goals.
- You criticize, and compliment too.
- You inspire.
To see the full article as it originally appeared on the American Express OPEN Forum, visit http://www.openforum.com/idea-hub/topics/managing/article/17-signs-that-you-are-a-great-boss-1.